Ahh! I’m really excited to write this blog. These past few months have been amazing and I wanted to thank Lauren from Southern Elle Style for nominating me for the Liebster Award. Dallas has a very talented and supportive community of bloggers and this is one example of that camaraderie.
Recently, I’ve gained some new readers and I wanted to take this opportunity to introduce myself. My name is Mai Lyn and Deep Fried Fit is my personal food and fitness blog. I’m a huge foodie and a fitness fanatic and one way I like to describe my lifestyle is that I workout to eat.
In case you’re wondering that heck this award is, it’s an award that a blogger gives to another blogger who they think is doing great and to say “keep up the good work”. Once nominated, you have to reveal some unknown facts about yourself and answer the questions posted by the nominator. You then nominate fellow bloggers and give them 11 questions to answer.
11 Random Facts About Me:
1. I’m left-handed.
2. My parents can speak 7 different languages. Growing up, they switched dialects on me all the time, so I’m not fluent at all in anything.
3. As a result of not being able to speak my native Chinese dialect, I attempted to redeem myself and minored in Chinese at SMU. I studied abroad in Beijing for 3 months. Post college, I forgot all of it. Sigh..
4. I love playing flag football and volleyball.
5. My first concert ever was a Lil Wayne concert. I know…weird right?
6. My current obsession right now is the new show Empire. That soundtrack is amazing!!
7. I lived in Paris for a summer.
8. Born and raised in Dallas and currently live in East Dallas.
9. I love to dance and I love hip hop music.
10. My drink of choice is a good scotch. Or tequila.
11. I don’t have a lot of patience and one of my biggest flaws is my temper. It’s something I’m always working on.
Here are the questions Elle asked me along my answers:
1) Why did you start blogging? I am a huge foodie and always posted photos of my foodie adventures and I also had a love for fitness. My good friend and politics blogger Jessica of Politically Inclined believed I had a unique story and encouraged me to do it. So, I finally took the leap and created Deep Fried Fit. To be honest, I didn’t think my life or food pics would be interesting or thought anyone would care. Eventually, it became a creative outlet for me and is something I am really passionate about now.
2) What’s been your favorite blog post thus far? I would have to say the SIX:02 blog I just wrote. I hosted a giveaway and selected 5 winners to get outfitted by SIX:02. Outside of my friends and fellow bloggers, this was my first opportunity to meet some of my followers/readers in person. It was so cool to meet them, learn how diverse their fitness interests were and see their faces light up when I told them they were taking home an entire outfit PLUS shoes. I’m a total novice when it comes to photography, but I talked them into doing a little photo shoot and it was really fun pretending to be mannequins in the store’s window display.
3) If you could visit any place where would you go? A coastal country in Central or South America. I want to be able to lay on a beach, hike through a forest, see a volcano, and eat some weird things.
4) You are having 5 people over for a meal. Who would be invited? Anybody? Like truly anybody? Am I allowed to say the characters (NOT cast) from Harry Potter? That would make for an interesting dinner for sure.
5) If you had all the skills and means necessary, what career path would you choose? The one I am on right now. I’m currently a marketing coordinator for a tech company and hope to continue on that path toward a C-level position one day. I absolutely love my job and the people I work with. I’m hungry to learn new things and the role that I play certainly has my head spinning some days. People ask me if I ever plan to become a full-time blogger and my answer is no, because I want both. I want it all damnit!
6) If you had a time machine, what century would you visit? I’ve always loved Egyptian history. Send me back there!
7) What’s your favorite meal? Fried chicken, spaghetti, loaded brisket baked potato, and hot fries. That’s one meal right?
8) Where is your happy place? Rolled up into a burrito in my bed.
9) What’s your favorite color? Red. I wish I wore more of it.
10) Who is your blog and/or personal inspiration? For food writing that would be Mark Vamos, contributing critic for the Dallas Morning News and my business journalism professor at SMU. He’s incredibly brilliant and I love his writing. For fitness, Chelsey Plumlee from D Magazine. Seriously, what a great gig. She gets to workout, write about it and take home a paycheck.
11) You have a huge party to attend and you can have any designer customize your dress. Who would you choose to make your dress? No idea! I’m not really into brands or designers. However, I would love for Wendy from Wendy’s Lookbook to pick out my dress for me. I love everything she wears. And her cat.
For this award I nominate:
Lea from Running With Ollie
Andrea of Loubies and Lulu
Jess of Hello to Fit
Kate from DTownSweat
Chiara from The Spark of Light
Christina of Fitness and Frills
Haleigh of WoahHailey
Ladies, if you choose to accept this award, here are my questions for you! Have fun with them and don’t forget to tag me so I can read all of your answers!
1. Why did you start blogging?
2. What’s something you’ve learned as blogger, that you’d like to share with other bloggers? A piece of advice? A pro-tip?
3. What’s a normal day like for you?
4. What’s your favorite comfort food?
5. What’s something you’ve been dying to try/visit/taste?
6. Favorite show?
7. Pet peeve?
8. What’s one thing you can’t live without?
9. What other hobbies do you have?
10. If there’s one skill set you can learn, what would that be?
11. What’s your favorite thing to do in Dallas?